Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Meet: Jennifer Brahier














Department: Mathematics

How you came into this subject matter/profession: I am an accidental mathematician. Like too many of my students, when I first entered college I thought that I couldn’t do math and I didn’t want to learn. The thing is though, I’ve always been extremely attracted to the sciences and spend a great deal of my time reviewing research. So, I finally accepted that I needed to at least attempt some extra math classes so that I could open the doors to harder science classes. And then, after a few math successes I found myself looking forward to math classes and couldn’t get enough. Since then, my goal has been to help others get over their math obstacles so that they can achieve what they want without math standing in their way.

Favorite class to teach: Statistics-it is very applicable and allows students a real hands on experience for a math class.

How long you’ve been at PSC: 1997-2005 as an adjunct and fulltime since 2005
Hobbies: My current favorite “hobby” would be spending time with my little granddaughter Clementine. I also enjoy gardening and am particularly attracted to native plants and medicinal herbs.

Favorite book/movie: My first response to this question is To Kill A Mockingbird, however, on second thought the book I’ve purchased the most times to give as a gift and recommend to everybody  is The Tao of Pooh –so maybe it’s my favorite book!

Favorite place on campus: In the classroom with my students!

Why you joined the Union: In a perfect world unions wouldn’t be needed, however….you know the rest. Unions help us hold up our profession and participate in shared governance. Heck, I think even SAC’s mandates shared governing. I don’t feel obligated to be a member, on the contrary, I am grateful to have the right to honor my professional responsibility and stand united with my colleagues.

No comments: