Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Meet: Edward Pate













Department: English/Communications

How you came into this subject matter/profession: During my original career as an attorney in New York City, I learned value of creating lasting connections with other people. Teaching, I’ve found, is a more effective and rewarding way for me to make those connections. Literature and writing have been two of my greatest teachers, so through those disciplines, I strive to pass on my learning and the lessons my students continue to teach me.

Favorite class to teach: English Composition 1102 because it’s a literature and writing intensive course

How long you’ve been at PSC: Since August 2012

Hobbies: Movies, art, horticulture, dining out, and traveling

Favorite book/movie: Because I appreciate so many, favorite, for me, means the books I’m reading now or the most meaningful film I recently experienced. In regard to books, I especially enjoy short stories and historical novels. Currently I’m reading Tenth of December by George Saunders and The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. Lincoln, which I saw during winter break, is the most recent movie I’ve seen that continues to resonate with me.

Favorite place on campus: My classrooms

Why you joined the Union: Initially, I became a PSCFA member to better understand my responsibilities and rights as a PSC instructor. Since joining, I’ve discovered other benefits. For example, PSCFA has helped me to gain insight into the larger learning environment of PSC beyond my classroom setting, a perspective invaluable to becoming a better, more effective instructor. Finally, PSCFA has facilitated my interaction with faculty and staff from all of our campuses, and these interactions have given me a deeper appreciation for the quality, scope, and commitment of the talented people at PSC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ativan drug lorazepam 1 mg bijsluiter - ativan dosage children