Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Meet: Bobby "Doc" Roberson













Department:  Physical Sciences

How you came into this subject matter/profession:  When I was an undergraduate at Auburn University I participated in a National Science Foundation Summer Research Program for Undergraduates by working in a biochemistry laboratory.  After completing my B.S. degree and returning from Vietnam, I decided to apply to graduate school to work with the professor who directed my NSF project.  In graduate school, I was training to become a research biochemist.  When I was within 3 months of completing my Ph.D., my plans changed due to the sudden death of my father.  I had accepted a postdoctoral fellowship at Purdue University but decided to stay closer to home for a while.  I was hired at a junior college in northwest Alabama and fell in love with teaching.  I taught and served as a Division Chair and as Distance Learning Administrator for a 4-campus college for 25 years.  I retired from that position and accepted the position of Administrative Director of Academic Programs at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis for a few years.  And even though I thoroughly enjoyed the position and the challenge, I always felt that something was missing.  Even my former students continued to encourage me to come back to the classroom.

How long you’ve been at PSC:  When I learned about the opening for a chemistry faculty member at Pensacola State College for the fall of 2006, I decided to apply.  I was fortunate to get the position and feel that I am once again home.  I work with some wonderful people in this department.  I was selected to be the Outstanding New Faculty member in 2006-2007 and was selected to be inducted into the Academy of Teaching Excellence in 2009-2010.

Hobbies:  I enjoy photography, physical fitness and astronomy.  In addition, I read a lot.

Favorite book/movie:  My favorite book is “The Prophet.”  My favorite movie is “The Grapes of Wrath.”

Favorite place on campus:  My favorite place on campus is definitely in front of my chalkboard.

Why you joined the Union:  I feel that the Union provides opportunities for professional development and interaction with other faculty members.  And it also presents faculty issues and concerns to the administration.

No comments: