Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Meet: Cindy App











Department:  Visual Arts

How you came into this subject matter/profession:  I was about 22 and doing some soul searching, trying to figure out what I wanted to do when I "grew up".  I knew it had to involve working with people, having fun and learning.  I chose television production because there would always be demand for video, it involved working with people from all walks of life and it was ever changing so it would keep my attention. Besides, it's fun to start with nothing and end up with cool art. I started teaching as a grad student and realized I truly enjoyed my students and watching them learn and succeed.  Being able to combine teaching and video came about as kind of a happy accident.

Favorite class to teach:  Media Law.  I love teaching students about their rights and responsibilities as artists and the content has a direct bearing on their ability to practice their professions.

How long you’ve been at PSC:  I'm in my 11th year.

Hobbies:  Travel, sailing, snow skiing, camping, hiking, biking, going to music festivals and hanging out with friends, family, my husband and my dog.

Favorite book/movie: I like anything written by Carl Hiaasen and my favorite movie is "Harold and Maude". 

Favorite place on campus:  The Visual Arts Building

Why you joined the Union:  Because it was the right thing to do and it provides me with protections I wouldn't have otherwise. PSCFA is "the" faculty voice here at PSC and we are lucky to have this union, especially given our current managerial, political and economic climates.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy will be the shining star in any profession as she is an open and honest professional

Anonymous said...

I agree. Worked with her years ago and learned so much. It was an honor.

Anonymous said...

PSC will never have a better and more fair law professor than Dr App.

Anonymous said...

I witnessed what you mean, I was at a meeting and administration was doing something wrong. Not psc, another group.She offered her resignation and walked out. App is the best.

Anonymous said...

App is indeed one of the best mentors to ever enter my life. Robert erased my messages and after 20 min on the phone with me he told me he would not tell her about my efforts to reach her. My friend is lost. HOWEVER, I will not ĺose faith in her. she is the best professor you will ever have. SIGN ME BRYAN